WILLIAM BRAXTON QUARLES
8 thTENNESSEE (DIBRELL'S) CAVALRY
Married: Celia Ann White in February 1866 in Putnam County, TN
Born: 1 January 1847 in Tennessee
Died: 3 April 1928in Putnam County, TN
Buried: Quarles Cemetery,Putnam County, TN
Parents: Unknown and Lucinda White
- Columbus Quarles
- Hickman V. Quarles
- Belle Quarles
- William D. Quarles
- John F. Quarles
- Dollie Quarles
- James Quarles
RELATIVES WHO SERVED
- Uncle: Stephen Decatur Quarles - 8th Tennessee (Dibrell's) Cavalry Regiment
- Uncle: William Jacob Quarles - Shaw's Battalion of Tennessee Cavalry Regiment
- Uncle: James Quarles - 8th Tennessee (Dibrell's) Cavalry Regiment
- Uncle: Joseph Lafayette Quarles - 8th Tennessee (Dibrell's) Cavalry Regiment
13 th(Gore's) Tennessee Cavalry
(also known as 8 thTennessee Cavalry)
- Entered the service as a Private and left the service as a Private
- Enlisted 15 Sep 1862 at White County
- 12 Oct 1962: Present
- Prisoner of War: Captured at Murfreesboroon 31 Dec 1862 and transferred to Camp Douglas
- Parolled at Camp Douglas, IL on 30 Mar 1863 and transferred to City Point, VA on 4 Apr 1863
- Prisoner of War: Captured at Knoxville, TN on ?? Mar 1864; Released on the Oath of Allegiance 10 Mar 1864. Listed as a Deserter.
- Prisoner of War: Captured at Knoxville, TN by the 65 IN Cavalry; Released on 10 Mar 1864. Listed as Deserter.
- Prisoner of War: Provost Marshall, New Market, TN Captured 6 Mar 1864; Took the oath and was transferred to Knoxville, TN on 6 Mar 1864.
PENSION APPLICATION ABSTRACT
- Filed April 22, 1907
- Resident of Algood, TN
- TN Board of Pension Examiners (15 Jun 1912) - Service Record Request
- War Department (18 Jun 1912) - Sent his service records
- J. N. Nelson (31 Jul 1915) - Supports his claim
- WBQ (23 Jul 1915) - WBQ service began in 2 Oct 1862 in Co. H Capt. Barnes; General Dibrell. It ended Christmas 1864. His service ended Christmas 1864 when he took sick near Morristown. He was confined to a bed for weeks. During this time, his horse died.
- Nancy Owens (31 Jul 1915) - WBQ came home in 1864 and was unable for further service
- Mary Quarles (31 Jul 1915) - WBQ came home in 1864 and was unable for further service
- Special Examiner (16 Aug 1915) - Bullock, Hudgens & Hyder cannot state the condition of WBQ after Dec 1864.
- Special Examiner (27 Jul 1916) - What was his condition between Dec 1864 - May 1865.
WIDOW'S PENSION APPLICATION ABSTRACT
- Filed 13 Sep 1927
- Married February 1866
- Resident: Algood
- Maiden Name: Selia Ann White
- Born 1 June 1845 in White County, now Putnam County
- Husband was born 31 July 1843 in Jackson County
- Married February 1866 in Putnam County, TN by Esquire John Reynolds
- Husband died 8 August 1916 in 19th District of Putnam County
- Children: Columbus Quarles - 61 years old, V. H. Quarles - 58 years old, Belle Quarles - 56 years old, William D. Quarles - 51 years old, John F. Quarles - 51 years old (twins), Dollie Quarles Phillips - 49 years old, James L. Quarles - 47 years old
- Witnesses: J. N. Nelson and Belle Quarles
- Both residents of Algood
- JN Hyder has known her for over sixty years. Belle Quarles has known her ever since she could remember.
- Selia Ann Quarles was born 1 January 1845 near Cookeville
- Married February 1866 by Esquire John Reynolds
- WBQ died 8 August 1916 at his home in the 19th Civil District
- Algood Moore (5 Sep 1927) - Marriage records for 1866 were destroyed in court house fire.
- 1850 Census: Overton County, TN, Page 61
- 1860 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 7
- 1870 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 258
- 1880 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 82D
- 1900 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 75B
- 1910 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 84A
- Death Certificate: Putnam County, TN (1916) - #454 - Brack Quarles
- Death Certificate: Putnam County, TN (1928) - #9583 - Mrs. Brack Quarles
- Three Quarles Brothers , by Maurine Quarles Cassetty
Top Photo Source: Stray Leaves from Putnam County History: Pioneer Families, Sights and Sounds from the Past, Old School Groups, Civil War soldiers, Page 233.
Bottom Photo Source: Siftings from Putnam County, Tennessee: Towns, Communities, People, Page 129.