JOHN T. PENDERGRASS
8 thTENNESSEE (DIBRELL'S) CAVALRY
Born: 9 April 1833 in Hamilton County, Tennessee
Died: 28 May 1921 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Buried: West Cemetery,Putnam County, Tennessee
Parents: Jesse and Ann (Witt) Pendergrass
1st Married: Justinia Anne Donaldson about 1856 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Born: about 1836 in Overton County, Tennessee
Died: between 1 July 1860 - July 1861 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Buried: Probably in an unmarked grave in the West Cemetery, Putnam County, Tennessee
Parents: William Richmond and Mary Polly (Hord) Donaldson
- Narcissa Almira Pendergrass
- Lewis Pendergrass
2nd Married: Matilda Elizabeth Ray about 1861 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Born: 14 June 1843 Jackson County, Tennessee
Died: 15 December 1883 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Buried: West Cemetery,Putnam County, Tennessee
Parents: Joseph and Nancy (McCaleb) Ray
- William Washington Pendergrass
- Finis B. Pendergrass
- Nancy A. B. Pendergrass
- Jesse L. W. Pendergrass
- Arminta Pendergrass
- Isaac S. Pendergrass
3rd Married: Sarah Elizabeth Stewart about 9 April 1884 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Born: 3 May 1859 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Died: 12 August 1941 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Buried: West Cemetery, Putnam County, Tennessee
Parents: Peyton and Arminta (Ray) Stewart
- Arlin D. Pendergrass
- Millie M. Pendergrass
- Robert R. Pendergrass
- Mealie M. Pendergrass
RELATIVES WHO SERVED
- Brother: Jesse Pendergrass - 8th Tennessee (Dibrell's) Cavalry Regiment
- Brother: Lewis P. Pendergrass - 8th Tennessee (Dibrell's) Cavalry Regiment
- Brother-in-Law: Columbus Jackson Davis - 8th Tennessee (Dibrell's) Cavalry Regiment
- Brother-in-Law: W. L. Ray - 8th Tennessee (Dibrell's) Cavalry Regiment
- Entered the service as a 1st Sergeant and left the service as 1st Sergeant
- Enlisted 15 September 1862 in Livingston
- July & Aug 1863: Present; Dismounted at Sparta, TN 6 Jun 1863 by Capt Deder; Joined Capt. Kinnaird Co. F 25th TN Regt 6 Aug 1863; Promoted from Private to 1st Sergeant 20 August 1863.
- Enlisted 2 Aug 1862 at Cookeville
- Sep & Oct 1863: Present
- Nov & Dec 1863: Deserted on the march from Loudon, TN to Knoxville, TN 27 Nov 1863.
- 6 Apr 1863: Deserted at Knoxville Nov 1863
- Age: 30
th(Gore's) Tennessee Cavalry
(also known as 8 thTennessee Cavalry)
- Entered military as Private and left as a Private
- Enlisted: 1 Sep 1862 at Cookeville
- 12 Oct 1862: Present
PENSION APPLICATION ABSTRACT
- Filed: 2 May 1910
- Residence: Baxter, Putnam County, TN
- Member: Co. C 8th Tennessee Cavalry Regiment, Commanded by Capt. Woolsey and General George G. Dibrell
- Born: 9 April 1833 in Hamilton County
- Enlisted: 15 Sep 1862 in Company C 8th TN Cavalry, Col. George G. Dibrell
- Battles: Chickamauga, various on Franklin Pike near Nashville
- Diseases: Exposure gave him rheumatism
- Wife is 51 years old
- Children: 17, 20 and 23
- Attest: George M. Moore & Columbus Jackson Davis
- Tennessee Board of Pension Examiners (2 May 1910) - Sent for Service Records
- War Department (5 May 1910) - Returned service records
- G. W. Kinnaird (16 Mar 1911) -
- JTP was a member of Company C
- He fought at Chickamauga, and he was with his command at Missionary Ridge
- Longstreet made his campaign against Knoxville. The brigade went with him.
- GWK was on detached service at Dalton, GA
- GWK was not with the command when Bragg stormed Missionary Ridge.
- Columbus Jackson Davis (3 Apr 1911) - Supports his claim.
- W. L. Ray (3 Apr 1911) - Supports his claim.
- Division of Confederate Pensions (22 July 1940) - Elizabeth Pendergrass is the widow of John Pendergrass
WIDOW'S PENSION APPLICATION ABSTRACT
- Filed 4 January 1940
- Widow's Name: Sarah Elizabeth Pendergrass
- #11976 - Applicant Died May 28, 1921 (John T. Pendergrass)
- Lived RFD No 2 Cookeville
- Resident of TN all her life
- Maiden Name: Sarah Elizabeth Stewart
- Born: 3 May 1859 in Putnam County, TN
- Married 9 April 1884 in Putnam County, TN
- Husband died: 28 May 1921
- Property: Life estate in house and five acres of land - 2 miles from Cookeville
- Witness: H. P. Davis
- Sam Pendergrass (29 Dec 1939) -
- He is 64 years old, was born near Cookeville, Putnam County, TN and has lived there all his life.
- His father was J. T. Pendergrass who was married for the 3rd time to Sarah Elizabeth Stewart about 1884.
- He was not at the wedding, but his father brought his step mother home after the wedding. SP was about 9 years old.
- Sarah Elizabeth Stewart Pendergrass is the widow of his father and has not re-married.
- Albert Braddom (29 Dec 1939) - He is the County Court Clerk for Putnam County. The record book for year 1884 is not in his office. The court house burned in 1899, and most of the books destroyed.
- H. P. Davis (Jan 1940) -
- HPD has known Sarah for 50 years.
- She has been a residence since he has known her.
- She is the lawful widow of J. T. Pendergrass.
- Earle Hawkins, Senior Accountant to Mr. A. D. Pendergrass (29 Aug 1941) - The last check for $100 is payable to ADP, the final warrant due to the estate of Sarah R. Pendergrass who died 12 Aug 1941.
- 1850 Census: Cherokee County, GA, Page 438
- 1860 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 44
- 1870 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 156
- 1880 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 146D
- 1900 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 151A
- 1910 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 2B
- 1920 Census : Putnam County, TN, Page 20B
Putnam County Herald
2 June 1921
Vol. XIX, No. 22, Page 1
Pendergrass, John - A Splendid Citizen Passes Away - Putnam county lost one of her oldest and most highly respected citizen in the death last Friday of Mr. John Pendergrass, who after a brief illness at his home a few miles west of Cookeville, passed to the great beyond. Mr. Pendergrass was 88 years of age, and had lived a useful life among the people of this section. He had reared a large family of sons and daughters, among them being townsmen, F. R. and Sam Pendergrass. Mr. Pendergrass, up to a short time age, had always been an exceptionally active man for his years. He was a devout Christian, being a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and was one of the most active church workers in the country. He was greatly beloved by those with whom he come in contact in his daily life, and while he was advanced in years, will be greatly missed in his community. His remains were interred at the West cemetery Saturday afternoon and the service was largely attended by his many friends and neighbors, most of whom had known and loved him all their lives.
- Death Certificate: Putnam County, TN (1941) - #18773 - Sarah Pendergrass
- Pendergrass Family Bible Records, Cookeville, TN