ANDREW JACKSON "JACK" ELROD
28 thTENNESSEE INFANTRY
Born: 12 Sep 1836 in Jackson County, TN
Died: 2 Apr 1904 in Putnam County, TN
Buried: Rogers Cemetery, Putnam County, TN
Parents: William and Mary E. (Unknown) Elrod
1st Married: Nancy Unknown
Born: abt 1838 in Jackson County, TN
Died: before 1870
- Martha Elrod
- William E. Elrod
2nd Married: Hannah E. Unknown
Born: abt 1842 in ?White County, TN?
Died: before 1879
- Christiana Elrod
- Ephraim S. Elrod
- George W. Elrod
- Robert D. Elrod
3rd Married: Sabra Jane Richardson on 14 Sept 1879 in Putnam County, TN
Born: 16 February 1839 in Dekalb County, TN (Death Certificate says 23 February 1839)
Died: 17 January 1921in Shelby County, TN
Buried: Elmwood Cemetery, Shelby County, TN
Parents: William H. and Sarah (Unknown) Richardson
RELATIVES WHO SERVED
- Brother: John Elrod - 28th Tennessee Infantry Regiment
- Brother: William Elrod - 28th Tennessee Infantry Regiment
- Brother-in-law: Francis Marion Roberts - 5th Tennessee Cavalry - USA
thTennessee Infantry Regiment (Consolidated)
- Entered military as Private and left as a Private
- Listed as A. J. Elrod
- Enlisted 15 Nov 1862 at McMinnville
- Deserted 15 Apr 1863
- Jul & Aug 1863: Present
- Jan - Apr 1864: Present
PENSION APPLICATION ABSTRACT
- Filed: 9 Mar 1900
- Residence: Gentry, Putnam County
- Member: 28th Tennessee Infantry - Company F
- Born: 12 Sep 1836 in Jackson County, TN
- Enlisted: Sept 1862 in General Bragg's; Stanton's Regiment; Captain Russell; 1st Lieutenant G. W. Cook; 2nd Lieutenant Hamp Apple; 3rd Lieutenant C. Page; Orderly Sergeant Harve Burns; Lt. Col. D. C. Cook
- Wife is 59 years old
- Sons 10, 29, 25, 21 years old
- Daughter: 33 years old; Daughter is married and living in Utah
- Attest: Church Rogers and Elias Davidson
- 2nd Application Filed: 20 Jun 1893
- Residence: Byrne, Putnam County
- Wife is 53 years old
- Child: 15 years old
- Attest: E. L. Davis and Church Rogers
- Tennessee Board of Pension Examiners (5 Jul 1913) - To Sabra J. Rogers - Request for information
- N. B. Young (21 May 1900) - Supports claim
- Sabra J. Rogers (7 Nov 1913) - Request for information
- War Department (8 Jul 1913) - Sent Service Records
WIDOW'S PENSION APPLICATION ABSTRACT
- Filed 4 July 1913
- Residence: Baxter
- Resident of TN all her life
- Born: 16 Feb 1839 in Dekalb County
- Maiden Name: Richardson
- Husband was born about 1836 in Putnam County, TN. They were married in 1879 by R. L. Gentry.
- Husband died 4 April 1904 in hospital at the Soldier's Home of Tennessee.
- They had no children.
- Witnesses: Silas Pitman Gentry and Manda Gentry
- Live in Baxter
- They have known Sabra Elrod for forty years.
- They knew Andrew Elrod for 40-50 years.
- Sabra and Andrew were married in 1879 by R. L. Gentry.
- Simon Kirkpatrick, Comfederate Soldiers Home (9 March 1904) - Informs Sabra that her husband reached the soldiers home. He was in a fairly good condition. They had to put him in the hospital where they can provide for his comfort.
- Sabra J. Elrod (3 July 1913) - AJE died at the soldier's home. Enclosed is a letter from the commissioner showing that he was there. He also drew a pension.
- Marriage Certificate showing their marriage in Putnam County on 14 Sep 1879.
- 1850 Census:
- 1860 Census: Jackson County, TN, Page 323
- 1870 Census: White County, TN, Page 344 (listed as Jackson Elrod)
- 1880 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 201A
- 1900 Census: Jackson County, TN, Page 6a (listed as Jack Elrod)
- TN Confederate Widow's Pension: #5010 Sabra J. (Richeson) Elrod
- Death Certificate: Shelby County, TN (1921) - #122 - Sabrey J. Elrod
- Putnam County, TN Marriage Records: Vol. # 1, Page 91
- Putnam County Tennessee Deed Book D: Richardson, S. J. to J. W. Franklin - Deed 50 acres - I Sabra J. Richardson . . . & do hereby transfer & convey unto J. W. Franklin his heirs & assigns forever the following tract or parcel of land that is my interest entire interest & claim in the fifty acre tract of land where J. W. Franklin now lives which interest & claim I own as an heir at law of Wm. H. Richardson, Dec'd. Date: 5/11/1860; Pages: 241-242.