RICHARD A. ALCORN
17 thTENNESSEE INFANTRY
Married: Nancy Lewis on 15 May 1862 in Putnam County, TN
Born: 18 Apr 1842 in Jackson County, TN
Died: 12 Jun 1909 in Putnam County, TN
Buried: Marlow Cemetery, Putnam County, TN
Parents: Joshua and Martha (Unknown) Lewis
- Martha Alcorn
- Mary Alcorn
- Cordelia Alcorn
- Matilda Alcorn
- Margaret Alcorn
- Sarah Alcorn
- Robert Alcorn
- Perry Alcorn
- Elizabeth "Betty" Alcorn
- Nora Alcorn
- Felix Alcorn
- Robert Alcorn
RELATIVES WHO SERVED
- Father-in-law: Lewis, Joshua - 1st Tennessee Mounted Infantry - USA
17 thTennessee Infantry Regiment
- Entered military as Private and left as a Private
- Enlisted 9 Jun 1861 at Camp Trousdale
- Discharged 15 Oct 1861 at Cumberland, KY because of disability
- Surgeons Certificate
- Enlist 9 Mar 1861 at Martin's Creek
- Born: Putnam County
- Age: 25
- Height: 5' 10 1/2"
- Complexion: Dark
- Eyes: Blue
- Hair: Dark
- Disability: measles and typhoid fever
PENSION APPLICATION ABSTRACT
- Filed: 23 Jul 1892
- Residence: Cookeville, Putnam County
- Member: Company K, 17th Tennessee Infantry Regiment
- Diseases: Severe measles which settled in his lungs; typhoid fever which settled in his legs
- Born: Jackson County, 14 Sep 1836
- Enlisted: on April 1861 in Col. Tazewell Newman's Regiment 17th Tennessee Infantry; Captain S. B. McDearman's Company K; Wade Cowan, Robert Montgomery, and George McDonald were Lieutenants
- Wife is 57 years
- Children: 5 boys and 1 girl
- Attest: C. W. Saddler and J. J. McDonald
- William Young (26 Aug 1892) - Supports claim
- Richard Alcorn (31 Aug 1892) - RA gives a description of his injuries received during the war.
- P. S. Cole, MD (31 Aug 1892) - RA broke his leg on 23 Feb 1889. Cole was his doctor.
- Thos. A. Head (27 Jun 1899) - Questions RA's right to be on the pension roll
- Richard Alcorn (10 Mar 1900) - RA has submitted proof.
- Richard Alcorn (17 May 1903) - RA wants to know why was he dropped from the pension roll?
- Richard Alcorn (10 Jul 1903) - RA requests to be restored to the pension rolls.
- Richard Alcorn (15 Feb 1904) - The doctor on the Civil War examining board pronounced him unable to perform his duties.
- Richard Alcorn (15 Feb 1905) - RA is submitting his claim for a pension.
- R. L. Gentry (15 Feb 1905) - RA has a discharge paper that he received from the examining board in Feb 1863.
- J. C. Jared (2 Feb 1909) - Supports claim
- J. B. Gragg (17 Feb 1909) - Supports claim
- J. H. Verble (19 Feb 1909) - Tax Assessment
- P. S. Cole, MD (20 Feb 1909) - Physician's Certificate
- Boyd, James Alexander - 16th Tennessee Infantry (??) - Supports claim
- Richard Alcorn (??) - Several of his neighbors had reported him able-bodied. He says that it is not so. He is feeble and in bad health.
- David Fox and G. W. Stout (??) - Support claim
- 1850 Census: Jackson County, TN, Page 257 (listed as Richard Allcorn)
- 1860 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 57
- 1870 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 174
- 1880 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 188C
- 1900 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 4A
- 1910 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 136B
Putnam County Herald
17 June 1909
Vol. VII, No. 24, Page 9
Mrs. Richard Alcorn, who has beensick for some time, died Saturday.
- Death Certificate: Putnam County, TN (1914) - #149 Richard Alcorn
- Bible Records of Richard and Nancy Alcorn : Upper Cumberland Genealogical Association, Vol. XIV, No. 2, Page 89-90.
Photo Source: Stray Leaves from Putnam County, Tennessee, Page 19