Beginning in the summer of 2006, I began photographing various cemeteries in Putnam County, TN. My hobby quickly became an addiction. The resulting photos are posted in an online photo gallery called Virtual Cemetery . Currently, there are over 150 cemeteries photographed, and at least 10,000 individual tombstone photos. More photos and cemeteries are being added monthly, as weather permits.
Each Virtual Cemetery Page contains the following information:
- Directions to the Cemetery:Text directions to the cemetery from a well-known starting location
- Cemetery Condition:Some cemeteries are well-kept and cared for. Others are overgrown and potential snake pits.The condition of the cemetery is noted here.
- Date Photographed:The date that the photos were taken.
- Status of the Photographic Census:This tells whether all of the tombstones have been photographed or not. In most cases, the photos are complete. Some cemeteries have to be visited again in the winter when the foliage is down.
- Surnames: Complete list of surnames taken from the tombstone photos.
- Location of Gallery:The photos are displayed in a SmugMug Photo Gallery. The link to the cemetery photos is given here.
- Google Map Directions:A google map is displayed to show the location of the cemetery. Using the directions form, google map directions can be obtained from anywhere to that cemetery.