JAMES MARION BURGESS
8 thTENNESSEE (DIBRELL'S) CAVALRY
Born: 23 August 1839 in White County, Tennessee
Died: 9 Feb 1917 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Buried: Salem Cemetery, Putnam County, Tennessee
Parents: Joel and Ruth (Allison) Burgess
1st Married: Nancy M. Huddleston about 1862 in Tennessee
Born: 12 Jun 1841 in White County, Tennessee
Died: 15 Jun 1877 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Buried: Salem Cemetery, Putnam County, Tennessee
Parents: John L. and Rebecca (Moore) Huddleston
- Lona D. Burgess
- Dora Burgess
2nd Married: Rebecca Ann Greene on 27 September 1884 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Born: 1 August 1854 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Died: 10 August 1931in Putnam County, Tennessee
Buried: Dodson Chapel Cemetery, Overton County, TN ( FindAGrave)
Parents: Enoch and Elizabeth (Adams) Greene
RELATIVES WHO SERVED
- Brother: Joseph Burgess - 22nd Tennessee (Murray's) Infantry Battalion
- Brother-in-law: Thomas Farris
- Brother-in-law: John P. Huddleston>
- First Cousin: Charles Lafayette Burgess - USA
th(Gore's) Tennessee Cavalry
(also known as 8 thTennessee Cavalry)
- No Records Found
PENSION APPLICATION ABSTRACT
- Filed June 13, 1905
- Resident of Cookeville, TN
- Member of the 8th Cavalry
- Enlisted: General George Dibrell's command Co. C, Captain Woolsey Company in the year 1862 about December
- Wounds: Rheumatism
- Wife is 51 years old
- two daughters
- Attest: J. M. Whitson & Joseph Hudgens
- J. N. King, neighbor (17 Jan 1906) - Status request
- J. T. Pointer (25 Jan 1906) - Tax Assessment
- D. D. Huddleston> (25 Jan 1906) - at Clifton, TN, JMB took sick and was left near Clifton
- Rutledge Smith (7 Aug 1906) - Status request
- James M. Burgess (6 Dec 1906) - status request
- John Farris (19 Dev 1906) - at Clifton, TN, JMB took sick and was left near Clifton
- J. B. S. Martin, MD (20 Dec 1906) - Martin's father had treat JMB during the war for rheumatism
- A. A. Reagan (29 Dec 1906) - at Clifton, TN, JMB took sick and was left near Clifton
- Tennessee Board of Pension Examiners (1 Jan 1907) - Request Service Records
- War Department (4 Jan 1907) - sent service records
- James M. Burgess (25 Jul 1907):
- JMB was born 23 Aug 1839 in Putnam County, TN. He always lived near Putnam County except while he was a soldier.
- He enlisted in the summer of 1862 in Co. C, 8th Cavalry; Captain Woolsey's command. Colonel Dibrell's regiment.
- He continued in the service until 1st Apr 1863
- While near Clifton, he contracted rheumatism
- The Captain carried him to the home of a rebel soldier nearby. There he remained for 10 weeks. The family's name was Bullock.
- General John H. Morgan detailed a man to carry him home. He came within a mile of his home and managed to ride the remaining mile.
- He was afflicted with rheumatism until the remainder of the war.
- He was suffered with rheumatism since the war and has lost the use of both of his legs.
- During his service, he was never absent from his command.
- George M. Moore (25 Jul 1907) - supports his claim
- D. C. Gossage (25 Jul 1907) - supports his claim
- S. F. Carr (25 Jul 1907) - supports his claim
- Cordell Hull (26 Jul 1907) to Tennessee Board of Pension Examiners - Please consider this claim
- James M. Burgess (30 Jul 1907) - additional affadavits are enclosed
- Mike Moore (30 Jul 1907) - Supports claim
- Whitley Hyder (30 Jul 1907) - supports his claim
- T. D. Ford (30 Jul 1907) - supports his claim
- J. H. Reagan (30 Jul 1907) - supports his claim
- D. H. Moore (30 Jul 1907) - supports his claim
- James S. Holman (30 Jul 1907) - supports his claim
- A. A. Staley (30 Jul 1907) - supports his claim
- Rebecky Ann Burgess, widow of JMB (12 Feb 1917) - JMB died 9 Feb 1917, he was unconscious on the 1st and could not sign his voucher
- J. N. King (1 May 1917) - requests status for Rebecca Ann Burgess
- J. N. King (22 Feb 1919) - Ann Burgess, widow, would like to know the status of the request
WIDOW'S PENSION APPLICATION ABSTRACT
- Filed 17 February 1917
- Died 10 August 1931
- Married 1884
- Resident of Putnam County, TN Route #6
- Resident of Tennessee all her life.
- Born in the 1st Civil District in Putnam County
- Husband: James Marion Burgess who was born 23 August 1839
- Married in Putnam County 27 September 1884 by J. A. Frazier
- Husband died 9 February 1917 at his home in Putnam County
- No Children
- Witness: David H. Sliger
- Has known her all their lives. They are about the same age.
- She was born one mile from him in Putnam County.
- He know her husband all his life.
- J. N. King and W. W. Davis (16 Feb 1917) - They know what JM Burgess and Rebecca Ann Burgess were considered husband and wife. JN King states that J. A. Frazier is dead, but Mr. Anderson Wert and wife were at the house when they married on 16 Feb 1917 by J. A. Frazier.
- J. N. King (16 Feb 1917) - Mr. Burgess deeded his farm to his two daughters from a previous marriage before his marriage to his present widow. She won't live long as she has consumption.
- W. O. Watson (16 Feb 1917) - Marriage records for the year 1884 was destroyed in a court house fire.
- Special Examiner (4 May 1917) - Only widows who were married prior to 1880 are eligible for pensions.
- J. N. King (8 Mar 1919) - The Act of the present session extends the time of marriage to prior to 1890. She was a true wife nursing Mr. Burgess throughout his illness. She has contracted consumption from nursing him. JM Burgess willed his small farm to his children. She has little personal property and is all alone with no family. Currently, she is living with a kind-hearted man that Mr. Burgess raised after the war.
- Special Examiner (8 March 1927) - The application of Mrs. Burgess seems to be correct and will be put before the board in April.
- 1850 Census:
- 1860 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 21
- 1870 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 116
- 1880 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 104B
- 1900 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 32A
- 1910 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 46B
Putnam County, TN
Will Book 6
- Written: 13 Dec 1912
- Probated: 12 Feb 1917
- Executors: Rebecca Ann Burgess
- Widow: Rebecca Ann Burgess
- Heirs/daughters: Lona D. Bohannon wife of George Bohannon & Cordera Wilhite wife of Green Wilhite
- Attest: A. Algood & Thos. Finley
- Death Certificate: Overton County, TN (1931) - #18229 - Anne Burgess