JOHN B. BOWINGTON
2 ndTENNESSEE INFANTRY
Married: Margaret Fox on 7 June 1864 in Smith County, Tennessee
Born: 15 Jan 1847 in Jackson County, Tennessee
Died: 24 Aug 1931 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Buried: McBroom Cemetery, Putnam County, Tennessee
Parents: Richard and Susie (Pryor) Fox
- John B. L. Bowington
- Henry R. Bowington
- Kendrick Bowington
- Daniel H. Bowington
- Amanda Bowington
- Martha Bowington
- Simpson Bowington
- Mary Bowington
- Leslie Bowington
ndTennessee Infantry Regiment
- Listed as John Boington
- Enlisted as a Private and left as a Private
- Age: 32
- Enlisted: at Hartsville, TN
- Nov & Dec 1861: Present
- 13 Feb 1862: Enlistment ended after 2 years
- $50 bounty due 6 Feb 1862
- Jan & Feb 1862: Left sick at Fredricksburg 15 Feb 1862
- 1 Mar - 30 Jun 1862: Present
- 8 Jul 1862: Present
- Sep 1862 - Apr 1863: Present
- Discharged: 9 Mar 1863
- Age: 35
- Discharged: 17 Mar 1863
- Born: Barnwell District, SC
- Age: 34
- Height: 6'
- Complexion: Florid
- Eyes: Blue
- Hair: Red
- Discharged: necrose? of bones & ankles caused by ?
PENSION APPLICATION ABSTRACT
- Filed: 12 Sep 1891
- Residence: Bloomington, Putnam County
- Member: Company H 2nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment Commanded by Col. William B. Bates
- Wounded: While cutting timber in VA near the Potomac River by jumping on a sway. When the log broke, he fell with the sway. After which, he could not walk for a long time. At the battle of Murfreesboro, he was struck in the heel by a shell
- Born: Barnwell District, South Carolina 4 July 1821
- Enlisted: May 1861; Co. H, Capt. Goodall elected Lt. Col. and W. B. Bates was elected Colonel and Capt Henry W???
- Wife is 49 years old; Has two sons and two daughters
- Attest: Uriah H. W. Fox and B. B. Fox
- R. F. Julian, Physician (11 Sep 1891) - Physical Exam
- W. W. Baker, MD (13 Nov 1895) - Supports Claim
- R. F. Julian, Physician (13 Nov 1895) - Physical Exam
- S. S. Shaw (15 Nov 1895) - JB never drinks.
- John S. Quarles (Nov 1899) - Supports Claim
- W. H. Hale, A. G. Donohoe, Sr., A. G. Stalker (22 Nov 1903) (Trousdale County) - Supports Claim. He was in the battles of Richmond, KY, Perryville, KY and Murfreesboro, TN.
- Military Secretary, Washington, DC (9 Dec 1905) - Statement of discharge
- War Department (9 Dec 1905) - Sent War Record
- ??? (???) - Claims that JB sits around drinking, gambling, and playing cards
- F. N. Billingsley (2 Sep 1912) - Reports that JB died.
WIDOW'S PENSION APPLICATION ABSTRACT
- Filed: 27 July 1912
- Residence: Bloomington Springs, Putnam County, TN
- Resident of TN: 66 years
- Maiden Name: Margaret Fox
- Born: Jackson County, TN
- John Bowington was born in South Carolina.
- They were married in Carthage, TN
- JB died 17 June 1912
- Margaret Bowington has not remarried since his death.
- They had ten children. Six boys and four girls. Only two are living, namely John Bowington and Simpson Bowington.
- Margaret supports herself and two of her grandchildren.
- Witnesses: James W. Stafford and J. H. Stafford of Jackson County
- They have know MB since the war.
- She resides at Bloomington Springs.
- She was born in Jackson County about 1846.
- They were married at Carthage in Smith County, TN. Both were present at the marriage.
- JB died at his home in Bloomington Springs. MB is his widow.
- Dated: 23 July 1912
- A. W. Tilley (15 Nov 1895) - AWT has know John Bowington for 12 or 15 years. JN does not drink or gamble.
- H. T. Burgess (15 Nov 1895) - HTB has known JB for about 20 years. JB does not drink or gamble.
- B. Jernigan (15 Nov 1895) - BJ has known JB for about 20 years. JB does not drink or gamble.
- J. A. Kemp, Clerk of Smith County, Court (18 Jul 1912) - E. W. Turner, Clerk of Smith County records that John Bowington and Margaret Fox were married 7 June 1864.
- F. N. Billingsley (26 Jul 1912) - MB is the widow of JB and is fully entitled as a soldier's widow.
- 1850 Census:
- 1860 Census:
- 1870 Census: Jackson County, TN, Page 246
- 1880 Census: Jackson County, TN, Page 228A
- 1900 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 4B
- 1910 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 213A
- Death Certificate: Putnam County, TN (1912) #70029 - John Bowington
- Death Certificate: Putnam County, TN (1931) #17758 - Margaret Bowington