22 ndTENNESSEE (MURRAY'S) INFANTRY BATTALION
Born: 19 September 1839 in White County, Tennessee
Died: 18 February 1925in Putnam County, Tennessee
Buried: James Bohannon Cemetery, Putnam County, Tennessee
Parents: James and Sarah (Barnes) Bohannon
Married: Margarette Jane Brewington in 1877 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Born: 19 November 1858 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Died: 16 October 1933 in Putnam County, Tennessee
Buried: James Bohannon Cemetery,Putnam County, Tennessee
Parents: Unknown and Elizabeth Brewington
- Newton Bohannon
- Jasper Bohannon
- Belle Bohannon
- Celina Bohannon
- Greenberry D. Bohannon
nd(Murray's) Tennessee Infantry Battalion
- Entered the service as a Private and left the service as a Private
- Enlisted on Dec 30, 1862 at Murfreesboro
- Captured near Atlanta, GA July 22, 1864
- Sent to Louisville, KY
- Released April 6, 1865
PENSION APPLICATION ABSTRACT
- Filed January 2, 1906
- Resident of Goffton, TN
- Member of Captain Basses Company
- Wounded in the Battle of Atlanta in the left leg
- Born: 1840 in Putnam County
- Enlisted in the Fall of 1862 in Thomas Murray's command under Captain Bass
- Wounded: Struck in the left leg just above the ankle while charging the breast works of the enemy
- Married: Wife is 49 years; 1 son and 1 daughter living with them
- Attest: J. M. Norris and Abraham W. Walker
- Oath of Allegiance (11 April 1865) - Camp Chase, OH
- Complexion: Dark
- Hair: Red
- Height: 5' 11"
- Eyes: Hazel
- Age: 25
- Alex L. Walker (5 April 1909) - In the spring of 1865, he was making crop on the farm of Henry Bohannon, who was a brother of TB. TB returned home in the early part of 1865 on his release from prison. At that time, he had a sore hip and leg. TB almost died in prison.
- J. H. Bohannon (25 January 1909) - States that he is a nephew of TB and requests a status of his claim.
- Tennessee Board of Pension Examiners (28 January 1909) - Returned status of his application
- Thomas Bohannon (2 Apr 1909) -
- He was released from Camp Chase Prison on 11 April 1865. He was stricken with numbness and partial paralysis of his left hip, leg and foot.
- He was stricken in battle, captured and sent to Camp Chase Prison for 9 months.
- He took the oath on 11 April 1865.
- He almost died at that time. If it had not been for the oath, he would have died.
- J. H. Bohannon (2 Apr 1909) - J. H. Bohannon is a son of Henry Bohannon and nephew of TB. He remembers his uncles return hom in May 1865. He was in wretched health and lived with Henry Bohannon for about 10 years.
- S. F. Carr (2 Apr 1909) - Supports his claim
- R. J. Jared (2 Apr 1909) - Supports his claim
- J. F. Dyer, Physician (2 Apr 1909) - Exam
- John H. Verble (5 May 1909) - Supports his claim
- Thomas Bohannon (6 May 1920) - born 14 Sept 1839 and is 80 years old.
- Tennessee Board of Pension Examiners (10 May 1920) - Were you born 14 Sept 1840 or 14 Sept 1839?
WIDOW'S PENSION APPLICATION ABSTRACT
- Filed 2 March 1925
- Died 17 Oct 1933
- Born 12 Nov 1859 in the 3rd District of Putnam County
- Maiden Name: Margaret Jane Brewington
- Husband born 14 Sep 1839 in 3rd District of Putnam County. Squire Joe Hyder performed their marriage.
- Husband died 18 Feb 1825
- Children: Six in all; 3 girls and 3 boys
- Witnesses: Isaac Buckenr and W. P. Huddleston
- Live in Cookeville, TN Route 5
- They were married by Squire Joe Hyder about 46 years ago.
- Thomas Bohannon died 18 Feb 1925.
- Algood Moore (???) - The marriage records for the year 1877 was destroyed by fire in the year 1898.
- Tennessee Board of Pension Examiners (28 Jan 1909) - Requests Service Records
- War Department (2 Feb 1909) - Sent service records
- L. F. Miller (3 Mar 1925) - Mrs. Margrett Jane Bohannon made oath that her husband died 18 Feb 1925.
- Margret Bohannon (3 Mar 1925) - She received check for $60 for the quarter ending 28 Feb 1925. Her husband only lived 18 days. What does she need to do with the voucher?
- Comptroller of Treasury to Miss ???? Bohannon (3 Nov 1933) - Received your letter advising of the death of your mother on 17 Oct 1933.
- 1850 Census: White County, TN, Page 119
- 1860 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 25
- 1870 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 132A
- 1880 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 99C
- 1900 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 46B
- 1910 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 56B
- 1920 Census: Putnam County, TN, Page 51A
- Death Certificate: Putnam County, TN (1925) - #247 - Thomas Bohannon
- Death Certificate: Putnam County, TN (1933) - #26776 - Margaret Bohannon